- Food Shortages
- War Relief
Field House Auxiliary Hospital
Field House was owned by the Bradford Royal Infirmary and was used as an auxiliary Hospital for the majority of the First World War after which is was utilised as a nurses home.
Field House was the residence of the Mr Isaac Smith a former mayor of Bradford. The site purchased by Bradford Royal Infirmary in 1908 as the location for the new Bradford Infirmary stood in spacious grounds elevated above the city. It is still part of the Bradford Royal Infirmary now.
The Bradford auxiliary military hospital at field house containing 50 beds was formally opened on February 24th 1915 by Deputy Lord Mayor Alderman Abram Peel. The staff consisted of a surgeon, matron, 2 sisters, 4 nurses and a probationer, they could be supplemented when needed by the West Riding Voluntary Aid Detachment. The hospital was under the management of the St John Ambulance Brigade.
Some of the newspapers stated at the time of opening
“The new hospital is pleasantly situated and has been admirably equipped.”
“ Thus a highly useful and necessary addition has been made to the medical institutions of Bradford. No better place could have been found for the purpose in the district.”
“As the Government only allows 2s per day for each soldier in residence this will of course cover the cost of administration and the committee are relying on the generosity and support of Bradfordians. The automobile club promised to look after the motor and ambulance arrangements.”
At Christmas arrangements were made to entertain the soldiers for example in 1915 the patients went out motoring in cars they returned to dinner and small gift provided by the Committee. An evening concert was given on Sunday 26th 1915 and they were visited by Lord and Lady Mayoress.
During 1917 Field House Hospital was closed for some months but due to unrelenting demand for bed it was reopened accommodating 80 patients. By 1918 field House had expanded to accommodate 88 and a total of 939 soldiers received treatment there during 1918. It continued to be used until February 1919.
After the war Field House underwent alterations and was turned into an auxiliary nurses home on 3rd December 1919 with accommodation for 29 nurses.
Bradford Daily Telegraph
Bradford Royal Infirmary Annual Reports