The pages within this website and on the blog will add further detail and insight into life in Bradford. But what do we mean by “Bradford”?
The Municipal borough of Bradford was formed in 1847 it comprised Bradford, Bowling, Great Horton, Little Horton and Manningham. This was extended in 1897, when Bradford became a City, to include Allerton, Bowling, Eccleshill, Idle. The current Bradford Metrolpotian District was formed in 1974 when it merged Bradford municipal borough with the borough of Keighley, the urban districts of Baildon, Bingley, Denholme, Ilkley, Shipley and Silsden, along with the Queensbury parts of Queensbury and Shelf urban district and the parishes of Addingham, and Steeton with Eastburn from Skipton Rural District. This project covers all areas of the current Metropolitan District as outlined in the map.
The population at the time is taken from the Preliminary report, England and Wales, 1911
|Bradford City of||288,505|
|Burley in Wharfdale||3,762|